Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve been posting anything on my website – that’s about to change. With a new year comes new goals, and a lot of exciting things are in the making already.
So, yesterday afternoon I created these little fun-size bounty-bars because I absolutely love coconut and chocolate – but then again, who doesn’t? The problem with the ‘original’ bounty-bars is the amount of sugar and fat in them. Take 2 pieces of bounty and you get a whopping 13 grams of fat (12 grams is saturated fat too!) and 28 grams of sugar! Now, eat this and you’ll be sure to have a massive spike in your blood-sugar levels only to come crashing down 30 minutes later and grabbing the next bar next to you.
Solution? Yes, there’s always a solution to a problem. The re-created healthy bounty-bars I did is full of healthy fats (organic coconut oil, organic dessicated coconut), antioxidants (organic raw cacao) and only a small amount of natural organic Rice Malt Syrup which contains complex carbohydrates, maltose and a small amount of glucose, providing the body with a steady supply of energy.
- 3/4 cup organic coconut cream
- 3 tbsp organic rice malt syrup
- 5 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1/3 tsp pink sea salt flakes
- 2 & 1/2 cups organic desiccated coconut
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 3/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp organic rice malt syrup
1. Grab a saucepan and heat it up to medium heat whilst combining coconut cream, desiccated coconut, rice malt syrup, coconut oil, sea salt and vanilla essence. Stir well until all ingredients are combined in the saucepan.
2. Line a tray with baking paper and spray it lightly with any type of oil you may have or brush it with coconut oil (so the bars don’t stick to the paper). Press the mixture into the baking tray, making sure the mixture is about 2 – 2,5 centimeters in height. Freeze until set.
3. Once frozen, cut the bars into the sizes you like. I’d suggest sizes like 5 cm in length and 2 cm in with. Back in the freezer they go.
4. Combine coconut oil, rice malt syrup and raw cacao powder in a small saucepan and bring it to a low/medium heat. Stir consistently – make sure it doesn’t burn! Take off the heat when all ingredients are combined evenly and cool slightly.
5. Grab the bounty-bars from your freezer and coat evenly in the chocolate. As the bars are already very cool, you only need to let them sit for one minute until you can coat them in a 2nd layer of chocolate. Place back in freezer until chocolate is completely set.
6. Store in the fridge in a sealed container.