Mmm, Mushies. Who doesn’t love them? They’re great in/with everything: salads, eggs, soups, sauces, as a side – don’t you agree?
These little wonders are full of Vitamin D, they will boost your immune system (goodbye flu’s!), they are full of antioxidants which help fight free radicals that are all around us and get into our bodies on a daily basis, they contain lots of Vitamin B2 & B3’s which help ramp up your metabolism, AND they are rich in the mineral selenium which studies have found can lower the risk of bladder cancer. Sounds pretty good, right?
I absolute LOVE marinated mushrooms, and especially for breakfast with some good eggs on the side and a serve of avocado on toast. Simple, yet full of flavour.
This recipe is: vegan, nut-free, sugar-free & gluten-free. Images of assembled breakfast with eggs are obviously not vegan.
Marinated Mushrooms – 1 small bowl
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered (or your preferred mushroom)
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped + extra to garnish
- 1/4 cup good virgin olive oil + extra few Tbsp’s
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat a saucepan to very high heat, it needs to be steaming hot.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, and the mushrooms. Let them sizzles for a few minutes to draw out the water.
- Add the red onion, garlic and a bit of salt & pepper, saute for 2-3 minutes, until the mushrooms has a golden colour.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, make sure your pan is still very hot at this point as we want to burn off the acidity.
- Add a few extra tbsp’s of olive-oil to the edges of the pan, and leave for 4 minutes to cook.
- Add the basil and toss.
You can either eat these hot, or leave them in the fridge to marinate further for 24-72 hours. Enjoy :)